Children’s Hope India in New York
In addition to funding projects in India, Children’s Hope India supports local programs on Long Island and in the New York Metropolitan Area which help underprivileged children in our own backyard progress from poverty to prosperity, giving them a chance for a brighter future. These include:
After-School Program at the Women’s Opportunity Rehabilitation Center
The Woman’s Opportunity Rehabilitation Center (WORC) with funding from Children’s Hope India has implemented a Comprehensive After-School Tutorial Program for approximately 50 children whose mothers have had contact with the criminal justice system.
Through this intervention, the program will increase students’ achievement by providing homework assistance, utilizing the most recent technology. This will assist them in completing their required assignments. By enhancing students understanding of the required lessons and strengthening their basic knowledge of the material, the program seeks to improve their self-esteem and increases their desire to become engaged in daily classroom activities. Students will become empowered which will improve their behavior and functioning in school.
After-School STEM and Nutrition Program at the BronxWorks Third Avenue and Bronxchester Houses
Thanks to a generous grant from Children’s Hope India, BronxWorks will launch STEM-related lessons at two of its after-school programs. The new curricula will enrich the lives of about 80 children at BronxWorks’ Third Avenue and Bronxchester Houses with valuable lessons in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) concepts. Elementary and middle school students will enjoy hands-on activities, such as robotics, learn from a rigorous curriculum, and create projects for a Science Fair at the end of the year. A nutritional component is also included in the support provided by CHI.
The CHI STEM grant will build on a partnership with BronxWorks that was formed in February of 2016. Last year, CHI supported BronxWorks in an initiative providing Social Justice Public Service Announcement Workshops to youth enrolled during the summer in the BronxWorks Cornerstones Community Centers located in New York City Housing Authority developments.
Support from our CH3 Group of Teen Leaders
CH3, the organization’s youngest generation of leaders, raises money almost exclusively to fund local projects here on Long Island. Their local projects include:
- Support of the Harlem Street Squash program. CH3 will sponsor 4 children over the next 3 years to participate in the Harlem Summer Squash program, receiving scholarship funds for college.
- Sending homeless children to summer camp at the Young People’s Day Camp. They had a modest goal in their first year of sending 2 children to summer camp. The success of CH3 has subsequently enabled the organization to support the enrollment of 34 children over the course of 4 summers.
- Participating in the annual turkey distribution where clothing, turkey and trimmings are provided to underprivileged children in the local communities.
- Providing holiday gifts to children in homeless shelters.
- Distributing backpacks and school supplies to underprivileged children attending elementary and middle school.